The technical specifications to be met in a very tight operating envelope were as follows:
- Tip / tilt range around the major axis of the elliptical mirror: ±2
- Angular resolution <0.5 arcsec
- Angular position repeatability <1 arcsec
- Static position stability (elevation 0° to 90°) <20 arc seconds
- Minimum resonant frequency >110Hz
PI found a solution based on its compact, high stability PiezoWalk linear motor – a tried and proven technology used on many semiconductor and high-energy physics applications in the past.