- Cleans and filters the compressed air supply, controls the supply pressure
- Optional pressure switch
- Recommended for use with all PIglide air bearing products
- Versions available with multiple channels, versions available with storage tank
- Versions available with vacuum generation
- Customized adaptations possible
In order to guarantee long-term reliability and proper operation of air bearing modules, the air supply must be clean, dry, and oil free. Contamination in the air can cause a reduction in stiffness and load capacity as well as an increase in friction. Eventually, the bearing will be damaged and fail. To prevent such contamination, PI offers efficient and inexpensive air preparation modules that allow users to clean the air supply easily. These modules filter particles and remove oil according to ISO 8573-1 Class 1.
Size & Selection
PI recommends the A-801 model when the air supply is not clean according to ISO 8573-1 Class 3 or if more than four air bearings need to be supplied with air.
If the air supply is clean and oil free according to ISO 8573-1 Class 3 and the system requires an air flow of less than 10 SCFM (300 SLPM), the smaller A-802 model is recommended. If the quality of the air supply is not known, the A-801 model is recommended.
The A-804 model is based either on the A-801 model or the A-802 model and is preconfigured with a multi-axis air distributor for 4 or 8 independently regulated pressure channels. Furthermore, the A-804 model is supplied fully assembled on a steel plate.
If the compressed air supply contains moisture (ISO 8573-1 Class 4 or higher, dew point higher than 0°C), PI recommends adding a dryer (desiccant or refrigeration type) to the air supply upstream of the air preparation kit.
- Multi-stage filtration system - several filter elements allow removal of the most common air contaminants.
- Pressure regulation - the modules include a pressure regulator with manometer for easy adjustment of the air supply.
- Shut-off valve - a manual shut-off valve is in the scope of delivery.
- Tubing and fittings - PI offers a variety of air fittings for the inlet and outlet connectors of the air preparation kit. If you do not see the fitting you require, please contact us for customizations. 2 meters of tubing for connecting the air preparation kit are in the scope of delivery.
- Semiautomatic drains - allow easy removal of filtered materials.
- Optional pressure switch - when used to supply a motorized linear stage with air bearings, the air preparation kit should be equipped with an optional air pressure switch. This switch can be wired into the Motion-Stop input of the motion controller to help prevent damage to the air bearing in the event of supply pressure failure. The threshold value of the switch is adjustable.
User Manual A-80x
PIglide Air Preparation Kits
A-80x 3-D model
Air Bearings: When to Use and When to Avoid in Your Motion Application
All Positioning Stages are not Created Equal. Author: Matt Reck, PI
Quote / Order
Ask for a free quote on quantities required, prices, and lead times or describe your desired modification. All products available online can be ordered directly.